I got called into my managers office one morning – I rolled in, big smiles and enthusiastic, sat down – he looks at me and said ‘have you seen the movie The Devil Wears Prada’ I reply shaking my head, and he comments ‘Never walk into my office again without a note pad’ – I jump up power walk out to grab my pad and pen!
That night, I hired The Devil Wears Prada and watched it wide eyed and captivated.
Although I believe my manager at the time wanted to be Meryl Streep, the movie actually had some notable and clever underlining learnings.
1. As previously mentioned – ALWAYS take your note pad and pen when you meet with your manager (or anyone at that matter) at all times.
2. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have – you want to rock that corporate ladder, show it in your attire. Wear professional (doesn’t need to be expensive, the latest trends or the coolest brand names) suits, pants, neat and tidy and smart. You want to be taken seriously you need to dress like you are serious.
3. Bed hair just doesn’t cut it – save your hipsta beachy look for the weekend and do the stylish sleek look for the office. Greasy, unwashed, un-brushed hair is not a look many people consider professional, especially when you are sitting in a meeting room wondering why people keep staring at your hair. If you don’t have time, bun it – simplest style to do that will always look like you made an effort.
4. Look out and after yourself – if you want a promotion, you need to dominate. I am not suggesting you need to be mean, rude, underhand or ‘suck up’ to your boss. I am suggesting to be aware of your surroundings, what other people are expecting and do your best. Remember, it is quite possible other people are also after that promotion.
5. Never lose sight of your goals. You may need to do the hard yards to get to the position you ultimately want, keep focused on where you are heading. And, if you are in that wedge position to get you where you want to be – be the best you can be and rock their socks off. Leave an impression.